Dear Field Hockey Centre Donors,
First off, thank you so much for stepping forward to support the project. We have been pursuing every avenue to fund the first phase and we have created this information stream to keep you up to date.
Here is the first update via the Centre’s Donor Network:
Donor appreciation “The Big Stick”
The kids know it well as we have lugged The Big Stick back and forth to the field for more than a decade for various events and has always brought smiles to all. The big stick’s journey continues as we cover it in our generous donor’s names and eventually hang it for every visitor to see.
For those of you who are in town I will be getting in touch with you to add your name, affix a Centre sticker, and take your picture of you with The Big Stick on your doorstep (with your permission). We look forward to seeing the stick covered in donor stickers! You of course will have the first choice at placement
We have submitted the list of donors to our partners at the City and you will be receiving a tax receipt for 2021 from the City of Ottawa directly. If we can assist with any issues please let us know.
Our goal is to raise $2 million from the community and through grants. Our first marker is to raise $100,000 to activate the project at the City and have access to City personnel and resources. The second marker is $1 million at which point we will “unlock” the City’s matched $1 million and construction will be allowed to begin. Over the past year our strategy has been to pursue multiple avenues of support to meet our goal of $2 million. The avenues fall into three categories:
- Government Infrastructure Funds
- Federal – applied July 23, 2021 for $750 000from Federal Development Canada through the Community Infrastructure Fund. To date, we have met several times with the program coordinator and provided additional information as requested. We are hopeful this application will be successful, but don’t know when the results of our application will be announced.
- Provincial – applied September 28, 2021 for $500 000 from the Provincial Government through the Trillium Fund – Capital Stream. Decision on applications are to be made in January 2022.
- Naming Rights
- We are now actively searching for a long-term corporate partner to purchase the naming rights for the Centre for $1 000 000 for a term of up to 20 years.
- We are searching for a partner that would be able to have an ongoing relationship with field hockey and one that could participate in long term sponsorship of the Centre and sport.
- Community Donations
- Due to the volatile economic climate that was brought on by the pandemic we held off on the launch of the donation campaign until now.
- The first goal of the private donor campaign is $250 000
- Step 1, Start the Donor Network with info updates (you are here!)
- Step 2, Launch a series of announcements – coming soon
- Step 3, Raise the funds!
We have signed a Memorandum of Cooperation with Field Hockey Ontario (FHO) which will be announced shortly. It is a general agreement at this point with the intention of it evolving over time as our relationship grows. The purpose of the memorandum is to recognize a commitment between the two groups to work together towards the same goals of growing field hockey in Ontario, and in turn making the Centre a reality. We have been very encouraged by FHO’s reaction to the project as they appear to be on board to help where our strategic goals align. We would also like to note that they have implemented some new concrete changes that will benefit our region. We are optimistic and remain focused on our commitment to the local community.
Look forward to seeing you on your doorstep!
Thank you again for supporting the project